You are here: Home > FAQs & Helpful Hints

Frequently Asked Questions and Helpful Hints


What’s the climate like?

New Zealand’s seasons are the reverse of the Northern Hemisphere.  There are four quite distinct seasons – Spring (September – November), Summer (December – February), Autumn / Fall (March – May) and Winter (June – August).  The warmest months are December, January and February, while the coldest are in June, July and August.  Winters tend to be short and generally fairly mild.  However, there is snow on the mountains in winter and excellent skiing.

Away from the mountains, New Zealand winters are mild and temperatures generally do not fall below freezing. Summer and winter temperatures vary by only about 10°C over most of the country.  In summer there’s plenty of sunshine, and activities in and around the water include rafting, snorkelling, diving and kayaking.

Money matters

Can I use my credit cards/ATM cards in New Zealand?

All major international credit cards can be used in New Zealand and travellers’ cheques are accepted at hotels, banks and some stores. If your credit card is encoded with a PIN number you will be able to withdraw cash from automatic teller machines (ATMs) situated at banks and shopping centres throughout the country.

How easy is it to open a bank account in New Zealand?

Opening a bank account in New Zealand is easily done on arrival to the country. You need to have a current passport, a job offer letter, evidence of New Zealand address and a current reference from your United Kingdom bank. However, some banks may only need some dollars and your passport!  There have been a lot of comments about the simplicity and efficiency of our banking system here in New Zealand.

Health and Safety

Are there any poisonous animals in New Zealand?

New Zealand has no snakes or dangerous wild animals, making it safe for visitors to enjoy outdoor activities.

Is it safe to drink the water in New Zealand?

New Zealand cities and towns have excellent water supplies and in all cases tap water is fresh and safe to drink. Water from rivers and lakes should be boiled, chemically treated or filtered before drinking to avoid stomach upsets.


What is the voltage of electricity supply in New Zealand? Do I need to take a converter?

Electricity is supplied throughout New Zealand at 230/240 volts (50 hertz), although most hotels and motels provide 110 volt AC sockets (rated at 20 watts) for electric razors only.  For all other equipment, an adapter/converter is necessary, unless the item has a multi-voltage option. Power outlets only accept flat three or two-pin plugs, depending on whether an earth connection is fitted.

New Zealand International Airports

Where are the international airports located in New Zealand?

New Zealand’s international airports are at Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Some flights from Australia also land at Hamilton, Palmerston North, Queenstown and Dunedin.

Trekking or Hiking information

When is the best time to go trekking or hiking in New Zealand?

Tracks such as the Abel Tasman, Heaphy and Queen Charlotte Sounds Walkway located at the top of the South Island can be walked all year round. However, those tracks at higher altitudes such as the world famous Milford Track, Kepler and Routeburn are closed in the winter due to snow.

New Zealand culture

Where is the capital of New Zealand?

Wellington is the political, banking and financial centre for New Zealand. The Parliament building known as the “Beehive” is one of the city’s top attractions. The National Archives, National Library and Old Government Buildings (the second largest wooden building in the world) are located nearby and are open to casual visitors free of charge.

What is a “Kiwi”?

The Kiwi, New Zealand’s national emblem, is a bird that can’t fly, has hair-like feathers and a long, slender bill which it uses to pull worms and insects out of the ground. Found only in New Zealand, it is active at night in the wilderness areas of the country. New Zealanders often refer to themselves as Kiwis, and the term is also used as a short form for the famous kiwifruit. On the stock exchange, the New Zealand Dollar is also referred to as the Kiwi.

What types of activities are available for the children?

New Zealand has a wide range of activities to keep your children happy.
New Zealand’s parks and large areas of unspoilt wilderness mean it is the ideal place to expand your children’s appreciation of wildlife and the outdoors. Horse riding, snow activities, whale watching, fruit picking and wildlife centres and zoos are just some of the choices available.

If you are visiting the larger centres, you will find a range of themed attractions including Rainbow’s End (Auckland), Fantasy Land (Hastings), and the International Antarctic Centre (Christchurch). Te Papa, New Zealand’s interactive national museum, has a range of activities for the whole family to enjoy.

Careers – Frequently Asked Questions

What jobs are currently available?

There are always heaps of opportunities within the health sector – the question you need to ask yourself is where do you want to live and what lifestyle you want.  There are opportunities in both urban and rural areas and many prospects for advancing your career and education. New vacancies come up everyday so keep checking.

How do I apply for a position?

To apply for a position you’ll need to follow the steps in the online application process at Register On Line.

How do I know that I have successfully submitted an application?

When you have successfully submitted an application, you’ll receive a confirmation email, letting you know we have received your application. We often receive a large number of applications but you will hear from us within a short time.

I’m having trouble attaching my CV, what should I do?

If you have followed the instruction and tried repeatedly without any success please email the recruitment team at email:

Can I update my details at any time?

Just send us an email

Can I fax or email my CV to you?

We would prefer that you apply online and attach your CV to your application at that time, but an email is fine.

Can I apply for more than one job?

Absolutely, we encourage you to apply for any role that you are interested in, but we highly recommend that you only apply for positions for which you have suitable skills.

Can I apply for jobs if I’m not legally entitled to work in New Zealand?

If you are not a New Zealand or Australian citizen, contact the New Zealand Immigration Service to see if you are eligible to work in New Zealand.  We can often give guidance on this so let us know early in your application process.

I’m concerned about confidentiality. Who has access to my details?

The recruitment team can view your profile, and where appropriate will only share your CV with people involved in the recruitment process.

Is remuneration information available?

No, this is not something we explicitly advertise with our vacancies. However as part of the application process we do encourage you to let us know your salary expectations. This will let us know if we are all on the same page in regards to remuneration.  Many clinical roles within the health sector are part of a Multi-Employer Collective Contract (MECA) which contain information on pay and conditions.  These may vary between health employers but give a good indication of base rates.

Am I able to get a copy of the Position Description for the advertised position?

If you find a role that’s of interest to you and you’d like a position description for the role then please email:
, with the job code and name of the vacancy.   Where possible we attach a position description to each vacancy.

How do I withdraw my application?

If you’re no longer interested in pursuing a role you have applied for, then please let us know by emailing
, and we will withdraw your application.

How do I remove my profile permanently?

If you’re no longer interested in maintaining your profile on our database please let us know by emailing [insert email address], and we’ll delete your profile. Otherwise once you have created a profile and it remains inactive for a period of time, we’ll delete it. However before we delete anything you’ll be sent an e-mail confirming that this is ok.

Can my partner work?

The New Zealand immigration rules allow partners and spouses to work if they have an offer of employment for which they are qualified and for which there are no suitable New Zealanders available. They may also be able to work if they meet one of the immigration special categories. You can refer to the New Zealand Immigration Service website for more details.

The immigration process can take up to four weeks or longer. Therefore, if your spouse wishes to work in New Zealand, it is beneficial to make contacts in the intended field of employment before departing your country.

What is the school system in New Zealand like?

The following websites are useful starting points for general information, but they focus on the secondary level schooling (for ages 13 through to 18) and above:
Education New Zealand

Why use a Recruitment Agency instead of going direct?

HealthProfessionalNZ is a specialist healthcare recruitment agency.  Unlike the UK – where you would probably multi-list with Agencies in order to get the best opportunities – in NZ, you should register with only one in order to get the best possible support from the Consultant you are working with and to prevent your CV appearing on the same desk from several companies.

With HealthProfessionalNZ, you get guidance and support from an experienced recruitment consultant who has extensive knowledge of New Zealand’s towns and cities and the vacancies around the country. We talk to you in detail to ensure that you (and your family) move to a location that suits your lifestyle and to a job that will match your skills.

Your application doesn’t get “lost” in a large hospital Human Resources department where you become a “number” with no personal contact.  If your application to a hospital is not successful for one position, they won’t contact you about other opportunities. We know what other options there are and can talk to you about these or re-present you for other positions as they come up.

Do I have to pay for HealthProfessionalNZ’s service?

No, our service is completely free. We are a New Zealand company with offices in Wellington and have extensive knowledge of the New Zealand market.

How long will it take to get my Professional Council’s registration?

This process will take approximately 4 – 6 months and is very dependent on how quickly you return all the necessary paperwork to the appropriate Council. The fees associated in obtaining your registration vary . There will also be associated costs in obtaining the required documents to support your registration application.
The websites for each organisation can be accessed for more detailed information –



Clinical Psychology

Occupational Therapy

Social Work





Medical Laboratory

Medical Radiation











What type of visa or permit do I need to work in New Zealand?

We suggest people visit the Immigration of New Zealand website at to get some understanding of what options there are available and what is involved with each type of visa/permit.


Visas are issued to all applicants living outside of NZ and are automatically converted to Permits at passport control when you enter NZ. These are ideal for people who want to work in NZ for up to 2 years or who may want to come out here to start work and apply for residency once they get here. The only documentation needed to apply for a Work Visa is a job offer from an NZ employer and your Professional Council registration as well as completing the required medical checks. Work Visas take 4-8 weeks to issue from date of application.

Partners can apply for a work visa on the “back” of the principal applicant if you are able to provide a marriage certificate or evidence of de-facto relationship going back 1 year e.g joint bank account/mortgage/rent account, joint utility bill at the same address etc


A Residency Visa allows you to reside in New Zealand for an indefinite period. To apply for Permanent Residency you are required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and then if successful at this stage, to then submit the formal residency application where you will need to have had medicals, chest x-rays (all applicants) and police checks (over 16 yrs only).
The immigration website gives more detailed information on this process and also enables you to apply on line.


These are available for people aged between 18 – 30 years of age and are issued for up to 2 years. You are only able to work for up one year of the two-year visa. These cannot be extended beyond the 2-year period.

More information is available from the New Zealand High Commission 80, Haymarket London SW1 Ph: + 44 134 471 6199 (If phoning from outside the UK) Ph: 09 69 100 100 (If calling from within the UK.

What sort of timeframe should we allow for coming to New Zealand?

On average, we say to allow a minimum of 6 – 8 months from the initial enquiry to arrival in New Zealand. This takes into account gaining registration, job offers, work visas and giving notice to present employers. For those candidates who are applying for permanent residency before coming to NZ, the process may be a little longer, depending on how quickly your application is selected from the EOI pool. If you have already started the process of professional registration, then you could be here within 4 – 5 months.

How easy is it to find rental property in New Zealand?

Generally this is easily done once you arrive in the country. The Immigration website ( ) has lots of really useful information on renting and buying property here – click on “work” and then on the “Living in New Zealand” icon on the right hand side of the page. Other useful websites to look at for information on rental properties are, or .

For information on buying a house in New Zealand have a look at , or . , , , , , , ,

Find a lawyer
Property Valuations
Dept of Housing Consumer Website

What is the schooling like in New Zealand?

School is compulsory for children aged from 6 to 16 years at primary, intermediate and secondary school. Most children start school at 5 years of age; There is an extensive and accessible early childhood education network throughout New Zealand, these range from government provided, community trusts and private centres.  All educational facilities are audited by the Ministry of Education and reports can be found on their website. ( and )

The New Zealand Government funds state schools. You may have to provide additional funding for example, sports clothes, school trips, text books; School uniforms are sometimes worn at primary schools and are worn at most intermediate and secondary schools. Independent (Private) schools are also available.

What is my holiday entitlement?

Employees are entitled to at least four weeks paid leave after they have worked continuously for the same employer for 12 months. However, many District Health Boards offer more than 4 weeks leave and will be dependent on the Collective Agreement in place at each hospital.
Unless the employment agreement provides for other days, or the employee and employer concerned agree to other days, there are 11 public holidays (bank holidays) each year.

What are the hours of work in New Zealand?

In New Zealand we have a 40-hour working week. Standard hospital shifts are 8 hours (0700-1530, 1430-2300 and 2245-0715) but many Wards and Units also operate 10 or 12-hour shifts.

What is the Cost of Living in New Zealand?

The cost of living varies depending on where you choose to live in New Zealand with Auckland being our most expensive city.
Dividing the New Zealand salary by the current exchange rate is not really an accurate reflection of the value of your New Zealand salary as cost of living here is generally lower than the UK eg. petrol costs around 40p per litre and fruit and vegetables are much cheaper, particularly when they are in season.

For more information about general prices, household living or internet grocery shopping visit or

What will Medical Care cost me in New Zealand?

If you are on a 2-year Work Permit or have New Zealand Residency, you will be entitled to free public hospital care under a reciprocal agreement with the UK. Visits to a GP or Dentist are generally not covered and will need to be paid for.

Health Insurance

Many New Zealanders have private health insurance due to the waiting lists in Public Hospitals. There are 2 main private health suppliers: and

If you have private health insurance you are still entitled to receive public health services. It is unlikely that you will be offered health insurance as part of your contract.


New Zealand hospitals do not offer pension schemes. Before considering transferring your pension we recommend you seek independent financial advice. KiwiSaver is a voluntary Government run superannuation scheme that is available.

Adjusting to your new life in New Zealand

Moving to any new country to work and live is a challenging and, sometimes, stressful time.  It takes an adventurous spirit and an optimistic nature.  The benefits will be manyfold and you will find that there are always people in the area you choose to stay who will be welcoming and helpful.  The more you involve yourself in your community the greater the rewards.